Saturday, May 16, 2009

mom's intuition....

So, if Liza could talk, she would tell you it definitely was not the best week of her little life so far. Starting around Saturday, I could tell she was not herself. I suspected another ear infection....and a trip to our clinic Monday morning confirmed that. However, by Monday afternoon I felt like there was something more. I called my clinic back that afternoon....and again on Tuesday....but kept being reassured that all I was seeing was normal for an ear infection....but I knew it wasn't my child's normal ear infection. Let me say now, though, that one of my fears and goals in life is to never be "that mom." I never want to over-react or make too big of a fuss over my children...even if I am doing so in my head and heart....besides....I blog so I can make a fuss over her....hahaa! :) So, I waited it out against what everything in me wanted to do. Wednesday she had a fever of 103.5 and so finally I was told to come in. After a finger prick we learned her white blood cell count was high....they had to find the source of that, so they needed a urine and blood sample. How do you get urine from an 11 month old??? A catheter. :( And as if that wasn't enough....finding a vain in her little arm was just the icing on the cake....and the icing on the icing was the final big shot of antibiotics that they gave her. It was a rough day.

The end of this long story....if I haven't already lost you.....is that she was fine. It wasn't even a bacterial infection....simply something viral. Today, a week later, she is finally completely fine and back to herself. My reason for writing this is to say: always trust your momma instinct. Would it have changed what happened? No....but it probably would have given her that great shot of antibiotics a little sooner. Also, I love love love my clinic and all the nurses that I spoke with this week.....they are wonderful and were completely accurate in what they were telling me...but they don't know my child. I do, and it is my responsibility to trust what I feel inside. I am sure I will get it wrong many many times.....but with prayer and the Holy Spirit's prompting, hopefully I will get it right more times than not. I know the older she gets it will turn from physical decisions to emotional decisions.....that will really be tough!

Deuteronomy 6:4-9 (New International Version)
4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. [
a] 5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.

1 comment:

  1. Poor baby...and mommy...glad u listened to that mommy instinct...

    ReplyDelete